Planning ahead is crucial in my busy life. One of the ways I plan ahead is to make things in advance and stick them in the freezer. This is just one recipe I do this with. The recipe is flexible enough that you can change up the ingredients with things you have on hand or that caters to your favorite flavors.
- 12 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup cooked meat of choice (pork sausage, bacon, smoked sausage or any leftover meats, chopped up)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles or other grated goat or sheep cheese of choice (optional)
- 1/2 cup spinach or other green leafy veggie
- 1/2 cup combination of green/red/yellow peppers and chopped onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease muffin tins or ramekins with coconut oil or other good fat. I used a 4 inch "stand alone" quiche paper.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Fill ramekins or muffin cups to 2/3rd's full.
- Be careful not to overfill as it will overflow.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, watching carefully in the last 10 minutes.
- The egg cups are done when the middle no longer jiggles when you shake the pan.
I serve this with flax seed muffins and fresh fruit for breakfast or a green salad and fresh fruit for dinner.
This recipe can be changed up in a million different ways. Pick your meat, your veggies and your cheese. Create something special to your own tastes.
Make these ahead and warm them up for a quick breakfast that you can carry with you or store extras in the freezer for up to a year and reheat in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes once thawed.