Who doesn't love coconut cake. At least I love coconut cake. I grew up hearing my dad talk about his mom making a most excellent coconut cake. It was one of his favorites.
I adapted these pina colada cupcake recipe from the coconut cake recipe here which was adapted from a recipe at Make it Paleo .
I made this coconut cake and took it to work to share. BTW, if you are ever near my office on Tuesday or Wednesday, you could possibly taste test whatever I am currently test baking. My sister tasted the cake and suggested the addition of pineapple might add a new dimension to the already delicious cake. This was all I needed to try something different. According to the taste testers, it is a WINNER! Here is my adaptation.
Piña Colada Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted but not hot
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 10 eggs
- 1 Tbls vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup crushed unsweetened*pineapple, well drained (place in sieve and press juice out of the pineapple)
- 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- Line cupcake tins with silicone cupcake cups or papers
- In small bowl combine all the dry ingredients and set aside
- In medium bowl combine the eggs, maple syrup vanilla. Fully incorporate.
- While blending slowly add the coconut oil.
- Add the dry ingredients, incorporating completely.
- Stir in drained pineapple and shredded coconut
- Let batter set for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Stir again and fill cupcake papers about 2/3rd full.
- Bake 18 to 23 minutes.
- Let cool completely the frost with pineapple trehalose frosting (recipe below)
*I used frozen pineapple chunks from Costco. I tossed a couple handfuls into a food processor to crush.
Pineapple Trehalose Frosting
- 2 cups Trehalose
- 1/4 cup freeze dried pineapple
- 1/2 cup unsalted Kerry Gold Butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1 to 4 Tbls hot water
- Measure trehalose and freeze dried pineapple into blender and blend for 20 seconds to 90 seconds, depending on the power level of your blender. I use a Vitamix which takes about 20 seconds.
- Dump trehalose and pineapple into bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, add butter and extracts.
- Slowly add hot water 1 Tbls at a time while blending with hand mixer.
- Add enough water to desired frosting consistency.
- Frost cooled Piña Colada Cupcakes with Pineapple Trehalose Frosting.
The pineapple was just what this recipe needed to pop on the tastebuds!
What is your cupcake recipe?
Post a Comment