So I brought a couple beets home. Of course I needed to use them for this recipe. I heard that the original Red Velvet Cake recipe was colored with beets. Beets IMHO is a super food. Good for your liver. I have read a little about how important it is to eat foods from all color spectrums.
Hey Google it!
Hey Google it!
Anyway, I searched for an easy Paleo Red Velvet Cake recipe and I found this one Dana shared on the Paleo Palate.
This is my adaptation of the recipe. I was a little disappointed the red baked out of the cupcakes but the rich flavor remained. I made mini cupcakes as a way of exercising portion control. NO power loading please!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or other liquid sweetener such as agave, coconut nectar or honey
- 1/2 cup softened butter or ghee or coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cps almond flour
- 2 pureed beets(approx 1 cup)
- 2 Tbls Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Peel the beets and cut into small pieces and covered with water in small saucepan and boiled for approx 45 minutes until fork slips into it easily. Drain and set aside and let cool slightly.
- Place cooked beets in a food processor and puree.
- Measure out one cup of pureed beets into a bowl and mix softened butter in.
- Add sweetener, eggs and vanilla into the beet mixture.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the dry ingredients(flour, cocoa, soda and salt).
- Dump the dry ingredients into the beet mixture. Beat with a hand mixer until well blended.
- Grease mini-cupcake pan and fill to just below the rim.
- Place on middle rack of oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes and remove from pan.
- Let cool completely and frost with your favorite paleo frosting.
My favorite frosting recipe is Goat Cheese Trehalose Frosting here
These cupcakes are full of good wholesome ingredients and satisfies. When your nutritional needs are met you are less likely to over eat.