|Triple Chocolate Cake Pops|
These are fun to make but, be prepared to spend a little longer in the kitchen than my usual short time. Most of your time consumption is waiting time. Waiting for the cake to bake, waiting for the cake to cool, waiting for the pops to semi-freeze. Well, I have a tendency to get distracted. "Scarf" Yes a scarf can be enough to distract me. We won't talk about that right now.
I followed the recipe right up until it was time to dip the pops and had to wait a day to coat them in delicious dark chocolate. I got distracted. OK there you have it. Delicious anyway!
Triple Chocolate Cake Pops
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 5 whole eggs, room temp.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar(or maple syrup or agave or honey)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life) Set aside.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, liquidfied but not warm
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut nectar(or maple syrup or agave or honey)
- 2 Tbs cold full fat coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- In a small bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl combine all wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients using a hand mixer at medium speed. Beat until all lumps are gone. Batter will thicken to a pancake batter consistency.
- Pour into a 7X10 inch or 8X8 inch greased dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or when cake springs back to touch.
- Prepare Ganache below while cake is baking.
- Cool cake slightly. Break apart and crumble into fine pieces and cool COMPLETELY before adding the ganache.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, cocoa and coconut nectar.
- Using a hand mixer, combine until all lumps are gone.
- Add coconut milk/cream and continue beating until the ganache becomes thick, smooth and glossy.
Let's put it all together:
- Mix the ganache, reserved chocolate chip and cake crumbs. Combine well.
- I used sturdy straws, cut in half for the cake pop stick
- Use a rounded tablespoon, scoop out dough and form round balls (about 1 1/2 inch balls) around the end of the straw. You can use your hands here. Don't worry if it isn't perfectly round. No one cares it's going to get covered by chocolate.
- Place each pop on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Place cookie sheet in freezer for about 10 minutes to firm up the cake pops.
- While pops are in freezer, melt chocolate chips and oil in a double boiler.
- Pour melted chocolate into a glass to make dipping easier.
- Carefully dip each pop into the melted chocolate and place back on the parchment paper.
- Return to freezer for another 10 minutes.
- DO NOT leave in the freezer longer then 10 minutes as condensation will form on the chocolate coating making it sticky.
- Store at room temperature in a sealed container.
This makes about 20 cake pops.
The original chocolate cake recipe called for 1/2 tsp Chipolte powder and I used Ancho powder. I didn't get the bang I thought I should get so I eliminated the chile powder from this recipe. You can add it back in if you want to play around with that little pop of spiciness. I guess my Ancho chile powder lost it's pop.
|Finished cake pops|